So I had this huge turkey to do something with. I didn’t really want to do a regular Thanksgiving type of turkey dinner. Too close to Thanksgiving for that. But I did want something comforting and homey!
SOUP! Yep, that would do! And this soup is so yummy! It tastes so much like a chowder but not as thick. You can make it thicker by adding in a little xanthan gum but honestly this is perfect as is!
And it really isn’t hard to make but the taste is outstanding! Definitely a winner, as my husband said!
The smoke flavor of the turkey really makes it yummy! If you don’t have the option of smoking a turkey, you usually can find them at a local bbq joint. Or just use regular roasted turkey. It will still be amazing!
Now for my Trim Healthy Mama friends this is an S, low carb and even gluten free.
You can load this up with more veggies or keep it simple like I did.
This soup is really close to a chowder. You can make it a chowder by thickening it up a bit more.
- 2-3 cups of smoked/cooked chopped turkey
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/2 cup of onion chopped
- 2 large yellow squashes chopped
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 – 8oz package of cream cheese
- 1/2 cup of heavy whip
- a handful of fresh cilantro washed and chopped
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of poultry seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a medium soup pot.
- Cook chopped onion and squash in the pot till tender.
- Add spices.
- Add in the cream cheese and mix well until melted.
- Slowly pour in the chicken broth and heat back to boiling.
- Turn down heat.
- Add heavy whip and chopped turkey.
- Stir and heat back again till simmering.
- Allow to simmer for 15 minutes on medium low.
- Add in the cilantro.