(This post may contain affiliate links. It won’t cost you anything extra but will help support my blog. Thank you!)
(Of course, the picture does not do it justice… it’s hard to take good pictures of CASSEROLES!)
-Chiles Rellenos Casserole-
(an S for my Trim Healthy Mama Friends & low carb)
I cannot get enough of TexMex! I probably could eat it every day for every meal.
I also love Poblano Peppers too! The smell is so yummy and the taste is yummy!
I saw a Facebook video from The Pioneer Woman where she does a Chiles Quiche Casserole type dish. It looked so good! So I thought I would create a Chiles Rellenos Casserole. This is what I came up with.
When doing the Chiles, you want to char them well. You can do this either on a grill or in the oven or if you have a gas stove top you can use it. I didn’t have my grill up and running so I broiled the peppers. Once you have charred them you place them into a Ziplock Bag to sweat. It’s really not as hard as it seems. Once they have sweated for a while you will scrape the charred parts of the pepper off and pull out the stem, cut open and remove the seeds!
The rest is just cooking the meat & layers like a casserole. And of course, baking!
Easy Peasy! The flavor is so yummy! I served with peas on the side but I think a big salad with ranch or guacamole would be so good too!
What’s great about this recipe is you don’t have any special ingredients! Everything is easy to find in the store.
I make my own taco seasoning, you can find the link to that here: Taco Seasoning
Some things you might be interested in buying:
We purchase our meat from Zaycon Foods. Its good quality but you buy it in bulk so it’s an amazing price! You can find out more here: Zaycon Foods
A yummy TexMex casserole that fits into a Low Carb or Trim Healthy Mama Lifestyle.
- 10- charred poblano peppers
- 2.5 lbs of ground beef cooked and seasoned with taco seasoning (link to my recipe in the post above)
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1- 4 oz can of green chilies
- 1/2 cup of salsa
- 1/2 cup of heavy whip
- Cook ground beef.
- Add taco seasoning.
- Char the poblano peppers on a grill or in the broiler.
- Once charred place in a Ziplock bag to sweat for 15 minutes.
- Remove from bag and scrape off the char.
- Leave the poblano peppers whole but cut down the middle.
- Remove seeds and stem.
- Place half of the peppers down in the 9X13 casserole dish.
- Place half of the meat on top.
- Place half of the cheese on top (both cheeses).
- Place the last layer of poblano peppers down.
- Add the remaining cheese.
- Drizzle the cream over the top of the casserole.
- Add the salsa on top evenly.
- Bake in a 350 degree over for 20 minutes.
- **I served mine with peas but you could do a big salad & guacamole.
- *** To char the poblano peppers you can place them on a grill close to the fire until the pepper is charred. You can also place on a cookie sheet and put close to the broiler. Broil for 15 minutes or so, flipping to all sides, until charred. You can also use your stove top to char, if you have a gas stove top, by placing each pepper in the fire until charred.
- Serving Size: 8