I am not a huge fan of rice… because it usually is dry and I just can’t get passed dry rice. I created this recipe because I needed a good side dish using brown rice. Of course, I like Rice Pilaf, it’s moist. Why not try it with brown rice?! I did, it worked, my family loves it! I love it! It’s moist!! It’s one of those dishes you might be hesitant about because it seems hard… it’s not! It’s pretty much completed in less than an hour. You could probably even do this in a crockpot and it would just work perfectly!!
Start with chopping vegetables! There really are unlimited options here! Whatever you like… I choose carrots, celery, onions, & garlic. I want to try sweet potato in it too.
Heat a big pan with a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Then add your vegetables to it and saute’ them until slightly tender.
Add the brown rice in and saute’.
Pour chicken broth in. Once it boils, turn it down & simmer. Stirring occasionally.
The rice will be tender but still moist! Delicious! A great E side dish if you follow Trim Healthy Mama, to go along with baked chicken or fish. A great way to get your good carbs in. My kids LOVED this side dish!!
A delicious side dish to go with baked chicken or baked fish.
- 2 cups of brown rice
- 4 1/2 cups of fat free chicken broth
- 4 large carrots chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or coconut oil)
- Heat a big cooking pot with the Olive Oil on medium heat.
- Chop all vegetables.
- Add the vegetables to the heated oil and saute’.
- Once the vegetables are tender add the seasoning, salt, and brown rice in and saute’ for 5 minutes.
- Pour the chicken broth over the rice and bring a boil.
- Turn heat down to low/medium and cover.
- Cook for 30 to 45 minutes or until tender and still moist.
- Serving Size: 8