Yes, another casserole. But seriously, who doesn’t love a casserole? They are fairly easy, you can make ahead, put in your fridge and heat it up later. You can take them to pot lucks or have them at any event. Yes, it’s summer so you might not want to heat up the over, but this one is WORTH IT!!! It has a crunchy top and a cheesy inside. So much goodness. And if you follow TRIM HEALTHY MAMA you can eat it too!! It is definitely an S casserole with all the yummy cheese.
I started mine by roasting my chicken breasts. You can buy the chicken breasts that have the bone and skin on. They are cheaper but a little bit more work. If you don’t want the work that’s fine too just use boneless skinless. I like to use the in-bone chicken breasts with skin because the flavor is just amazing. The chicken has a wonderful wonderful moist texture as well. To roast just lay the chicken breasts on a baking sheet, sprinkle with olive oil, add herbs and spices (salt, pepper, and garlic granules are my favorite combination), bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until the chicken reaches 160 degrees internal.
Start your spaghetti squash to cooking. There are several ways to cut the squash. You can cut it in half, place inside down on a cookie sheet with 1/2 cup water in the pan and bake, then scrape out the insides. Or you can place on a cookie sheet, poke several holes in it with a knife, bake at 350 to 400 degrees for an hour. Its easier to cut open this way and scrape out the insides. You can also peel it with a potato peeler which then makes it really easy to cut up), slice it, scrape out the insides and cut it up in chunks then roast it with olive oil or coconut oil. I have done it all three ways. Just pick the easiest for you. I bake mine at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to and hour. I also like to strain the excess water out of it so it does not make my recipes too watery.
In a big skillet I add the butter and onion. Cook that till almost tender. Shred the chicken breast up. Add the chicken to the skillet. Add spices and mix. Add the queso cheese (I used the white Queso Blanco HEB brand of Velveeta). **NOTE- If you would rather not add the queso cheese you can try mixing another type of cheese like Monterey Jack in the skillet with another 1/4 cup of butter & a 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream or even mozzarella cheese with 1/4 cup of butter & cream to the skillet. Mix till melted. Add a drained can of rotel to the skillet, mix. Next, add the spaghetti squash (use a fork the shred it up a bit) to the big skillet and mix up.
Toast up 2 Joseph Pita’s or if you don’t have that you can use a couple Low Carb Mission Tortillas or if you are more gluten free try 1/3 cup almond flour with 1/3 cup parm cheese to the top. Crunch up the pitas and mix with parm cheese. Add that to the top of the casserole.
- 3 or 4 cooked chicken breasts
- 1 large spaghetti squash cooked
- 1/4 of a queso blanco cheese block (like velveeta, I use Queso Blanco Heb Cheese)
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup of parm cheese
- 1 can of drained Rotel
- 1/4 a cup of butter (half a stick of butter)
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp of salt or to taste
- 2 Joseph pitas toasted (or you can use low carb tortillas toasted or even 1/2 a cup almond flour mixed with half a cup of parm. The almond flour won't be as crunchy but it is gluten free.)
- Cook the spaghetti squash and chicken breasts (shred the chicken).
- In a big skillet add the butter and onions.
- Cook till almost tender.
- Add the queso cheese, chicken, spices/salt & mix.
- Add the can of drained Rotel and spaghetti squash and mix.
- Put mixture into a 9X13 baking dish.
- Cover with the cheddar cheese.
- Toast the 2 Joseph pitas, crunch up, mix with the parm.
- Add the pita/parm mix to top of casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- You can also broil on high for the last 2 to 3 minutes if you want a really crunchy top.
- **NOTE- If you would rather not add the queso cheese you can try mixing another type of cheese like Monterey Jack in the skillet with another 1/4 cup of butter & a 1/4 cup of heavy whipping cream or even mozzarella cheese with 1/4 cup of butter & cream to the skillet.
- Enjoy this THM friendly casserole.