Sweet Pumpkin Casserole
Here is my take on a Sweet Potato Casserole that is NOT a crossover (for us Trim Healthy Mama’s).
I made a Pre-Thanksgiving meal for dinner last night and the two things I had to have on the menu were Squash Casserole and Sweet “Potato” Casserole.
I knew that having actual Sweet Potatoes would make it more of a crossover because I was NOT going to skimp on the butter for this dish! Then I had a BRILLIANT idea… PUMPKIN!! Pumpkin is an FP squash so this would work!
SO needless to say, this is really yummy! I used the THM Gentle Sweet as my sweetener (and it’s my sweetener of choice)… I literally could have eaten the butter-walnut topping in a bowl by it’s self because of this sweetener! Go buy some… here is my THM affiliate link to purchase the sweetener <<HERE>>.
This is an S to enjoy with other S dishes! Enjoy!
- Pumpkin Mixture-
- 1 large (29 oz) can of pumpkin puree (I like Libby's)
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. of THM Gentle Sweet (for Truvia just use 1/4 cup, for Xylitol or Erythitol use 3/4 cup, for THM Sweet Blend use 1 or 2 tbsps.)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups of chopped walnuts ( you can use pecans and you don't have to use as much... I love nuts though)
- 1/4 cup of THM Gentle Sweet
- A sprinkle of cinnamon & nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp maple flavoring (this is optional)
- 1/2 cup of butter (unsalted)
- Pinch of salt
- In a bowl mix all the pumpkin ingredients until well combined.
- Butter your baking dish well.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place the Pumpkin mixture into the 2 quart baking dish.
- Mix up the topping ingredients.
- Sprinkle over the top of the pumpkin mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes.