So excited to share this recipe with you!!! Such a decadent dessert and perfect timing for all the graduation parties and summer parties/get togethers that will be going on over the summer!
I dreamed this one up while resting from giving birth almost two weeks ago. I’ve been itching to get back into the kitchen! Ok, so what sets this apart from all the other Trifles? Well, it’s completely sugar free, yes it is!! Let me tell you, this DOES NOT taste like a “healthy” dessert! I love making my husband’s eyes pop open with delicious desserts that won’t spike his blood sugar and give you that sugar crash! Following Trim Healthy Mama we have changed our way of eating but not in a boring tasteless way, that’s for sure!! I cannot recommend the Trim Healthy Mama book enough! It has changed my lifestyle and health for the BEST! I will blog about my Trim Healthy Mama pregnancy and my 1 year Trimaversary soon! But for now, lets get back to this dessert!!
I started out using my German Chocolate Cake recipe but tweaked it for the BETTER and made it a little easier by microwaving the unsweet dark chocolate instead of using a double boiler (you can do it that way if you don’t want to use the microwave). Then I added the 0% Greek Yogurt & Almond Milk to it and mixed well.
Now, for the sweetener I used the THM Sweet Blend!!! I am so so so happy with it! If you don’t have it replace with your favorite plan approved sweetener but here is a link to the Trim Healthy Mama site where you can purchase the THM Sweet Blend and their THM Stevia. Let me just tell you really quick why I love the THM Sweet Blend… it tastes so good! I have been using it in everything. I bought 2 bags of the Sweet Blend the day it came out. I just finished my first bag on this dessert. WOW! That’s a couple months of use in one bag. I was buying Truvia every week at $5 something for 9.8 oz… crazy! The THM Sweet Blend is a 1 lb bag for $9.99 plus shipping but it takes WAY less to sweeten anything!!! I would say 1/3 or 1/4 of a cup to a cup of Truvia! Such GREAT quantity and price! And my husband likes it! Now, that’s a big deal!! He doesn’t care for Truvia and can tell when I bake with it. But I used this Sweet Blend and a couple of droppers of liquid stevia (which I would just add a teaspoon or so more of the THM Sweet Blend next time) and my husband LOVED LOVED it!
Repeat the above steps, adding the whipped cream last to the top. You can add 85% dark chocolate shavings on top if you want or even my Almond Candied Crunch to the top.
If you can, cover with plastic wrap and put into the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour to allow all the liquid to soak into the cake making this delicious almost cakey pudding texture! If you cannot wait, just dig right in! This would be an S dessert but it has plenty of protein in it with the almond meal and greek yogurt! It does NOT have any “sugar coma effect” and this feeds at least 8 but more like 10 people! What a pretty dessert and perfect for a party!! ENJOY!!
- 2 1/2 cups of almond flour (or meal which is what I used)
- 6 eggs
- 2 sticks of butter softened
- 1 cup of 0% Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup of almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1- 4oz bar of unsweet dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup of THM Sweet Blend (if you do not have this, try using 1/2 a cup of more of Truvia)
- 2 to 4 droppers of stevia (or just use a teaspoon more of the Sweet Blend)
- 2 tsp of vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3\4 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 to 3 cups of chopped strawberries
- 2 tsp THM Sweet Blend
- 2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 to 2 tsp of THM Sweet Blend
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 85% dark chocolate shavings (optional)
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave save bowl for 30 seconds at a time till completely melted. Add the greek yogurt and almond milk. Mix completely.
- In a big bowl add the softened butter, sweetener, vanilla, and blend well.
- Add in eggs.
- Combine almond flour, baking soda, powder, & salt.
- Add to butter and eggs. Mix well.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the almond flour batter.
- Blend well.
- Pour into 2 round cake pans that have been greased.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees or until your knife comes out clean.
- While the cake bakes chop up your strawberries and add sweetener and let sit.
- Allow the cakes to cool completely before taking out of pans.
- Whip up your whipped cream (put cream into a big bowl, add sweetener, and vanilla and mix until it forms whipped cream).
- Once cool, cut cakes into big chunks and place one at the bottom of the trifle dish.
- Pour half of the strawberry mixture on the cake.
- Add half of the whipped cream to the top of the strawberry mixture.
- You can add the shaved dark chocolate to the top and fresh strawberries if you would like or even the almond candied crunch to the top.
- Cover and place in the fridge for an hour so all the cake soaks up the delicious strawberry juice and whipped cream!
- Serve it up and enjoy
- This is a decadent S dessert EVERYONE will LOVE!!