We had this for dinner last night! I wanted to make a lasagna in a crockpot instead of the oven and I didn’t want to use zucchini or spaghetti squash… sooo I thought fresh SPINACH!!! Perfect!! And it worked very well! Husband said “hmmmm hmmm”!
I did cook the meat first and made the sauce before putting into the crockpot! (Further down is a note on how to just take out frozen meat sauce for this crockpot meal)
Brown the ground beef in a skillet with a little garlic and onions (if you want). Next make the sauce. Here is a link to my spaghetti sauce. I used the recipe but a little different. I added 3 small cans of tomato paste to the browned meat. I added about 4 cups of water, salt, dried basil, garlic powder, and about 4 drops of liquid stevia to the mix.
****Quick Step for frozen spaghetti meat sauce****
Take frozen spaghetti meat sauce out of freezer. Allow to thaw. Then just assemble the layers as directed.
I served this with a low carb bread recipe (on page 265 of Trim Healthy Mama called Bread in a Mug) that I tripled, added 3 tbsp. of butter instead and added 1 tsp garlic. I baked it in the oven for 22 minutes at 350 degrees. Came out perfectly! I forgot to spray the pan so it came out like cornbread but I got no complaints!
This meal is an S if you follow Trim Healthy Mama! Enjoy!
- 2 lbs of lower fat ground beef (you can also use ground turkey or deer) browned
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 4 cups of water
- 3 cans of 6 oz tomato paste
- 2 tsp basil dried
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 drops of liquid stevia or a tsp of Truvia
- 3 cups of cottage cheese (I used 2%)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mozzarella
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp. parm
- 3/4's of a big 16oz tub of baby spinach
- 2 cups of mozzarella
- 1/2 cup of parm
- Brown meat.
- Add garlic chopped.
- Add the tomato paste.
- Add spices and water.
- Mix well.
- **Read Note on Frozen Meat Sauce
- Place 1/3 of meat sauce at the bottom of crock pot.
- Mix cottage cheese, eggs, basil, salt, parm and 1 cup of mozzarella.
- Spread 1/3 of cheese mixture on top of meat sauce.
- Place half of the spinach on top of the layer in crock pot.
- Add the next 1/3 of the meat sauce on top of spinach.
- Add the next 1/3 of the cheese mixture, then 1 cup of cheese.
- The last of the spinach comes next.
- Add the last of the meat sauce on top of the spinach.
- Add the last of the cheese mixture.
- Add 1 cup of mozzarella on top of that.
- Add 1/2 cup of parm.
- Cover with a lid and set on high for 3 hours or low for 5 or 6 hours.
- **If using frozen meat sauce, just allow the meat sauce to thaw. Follow the rest of the steps from there.
- This is an S lasagna, gluten free/wheat free. I did serve with a low carb bread from a recipe in the Trim Healthy Mama book. This served 3 adult eaters, and 4 little eaters.