Y’all this soup is yummy! If you don’t know it by now, I LOVE Mexican Food!
Seriously! If you have see any of my menu posts you know that we have Mexican food probably 4 or 5 times a week. Maybe it’s a Texan thing, but I cannot get away from it!!
So this soup… it is YUM, it is easy to make, and it’s a one pot dish!
It’s sooooo versatile too! If you make it as the recipe states then you are making a low fat, THM FP meal!
If you add cheese, sour cream, avocado then you have an S meal!
If you add a little Greek Yogurt, some brown rice, blue corn tortilla chips & salsa, then you have an E!!
Of course, I like it with the works!
You could even make this in a slowcooker by simply adding all the ingredients in a crockpot and cooking on medium for 6-8 hours!
If you are wanting more yummy TexMex recipes go check out my friend Teresia at Nana’s Little Kitchen!
Here is a link to her Chicken Enchilada Skillet
Here is a link to my Chicken Enchiladas!
**Check out the beautiful serving SLATE!! Isn’t that incredibly beautiful??!! Please go check out SlatePlate.com !!! These slates are absolutely perfect for serving an appetizer on or making a beautiful statement for dinner! They are also handcrafted in the USA!
- 3 large chicken breast chopped in small bites
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 an onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 cups of frozen okra
- 10 cups of fat free chicken broth
- 2 small 6 oz cans of tomato paste
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup of chili powder (start small and see if you can handle more after it's cooked)
- 1 tbsp. of cumin powder
- 1-2 tsp of mineral salt or salt to taste
- 1 tsp of pepper
- **Optional 1 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese mixed into soup (if going for an S)
- In a big pot put the oil on medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion & garlic and cook.
- Add in the chopped chicken and cook.
- Add in the okra and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add in the spices and mix well.
- Add the chicken broth.
- Allow to simmer until vegetables are cooked through.
- If you are going for an S then you can add the cheese at the end.
- If you are going for an E or FP keep the cheese off and top with cilantro or greek yogurt or blue corn tortilla chips or salsa or brown rice.
- S toppings- more cheese, avocado, cilantro, salsa.