Brussel Sprouts with Sausage & Candied Walnuts
I don’t know about you but I love Brussel Sprouts.
I know they are not something everyone likes…
Here is a way to eat them that kind of dresses them up.
I start by cooking my Brussel sprouts the best way… here is a link to an original post on how I bake them.
They are so great just like this but then I add in cooked sausage and candied walnuts. You can even add in candied cranberries to give it that beautiful kick!
I candied my walnuts and cranberries in butter and about one to two tablespoons of THM Gentle Sweet.
If you don’t have Gentle Sweet you can purchase it here (affiliate link) at the THM Store!
Hope you enjoy this beautiful side dish. It is an S for my Trim Healthy Mama friends.
- 2.5 to 3 cups of Brussel Sprouts
- 2 tbsps. of olive oil
- 1.5 cup of cooked breakfast sausage (place on a paper towel to remove extra grease)
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts (I love nuts so the more the better)
- 2 tbsp. of fresh cranberries (optional- if you use cranberries make sure you candy them well or they will be tart)
- 2 tsps. of butter (or more)
- 1 to 2 tbsp. of THM Gentle Sweet or Truvia or Pyure Stevia (if using erythitol or xylitol use 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/8 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp of poultry seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Clean, cut and dry the Brussel sprouts.
- In a bowl mix the sprouts, olive oil and seasonings together.
- Add to a greased cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally to allow to cook evenly.
- While the sprouts are cooking, cook the sausage.
- Once cooked, place on a couple paper towels to remove the extra grease.
- In a small skillet add the butter, chopped walnuts and sweetener (you would also add the cranberries).
- Allow the nuts, butter and sweetener (and cranberries, if using) on medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes until toasted and coasted well.'
- Once the sprouts have finished you can place all the ingredients into a nice serving dish and stir well.
- Enjoy this S side dish!