AHHHHH oh my word these were sooooooo good!!! It’s fall, who has not tried out acorn squash??? It is probably my favorite squash EVER!! It has a sweet flavor to it and is just delish!!
So I made these guys the other morning and bam they rocked it!! My husband LOVED them and he is NOT a squash person! But that could have been because they had bacon in them! Haha! You had me at BACON!!!
Okay… I cooked up some good quality thick bacon. Chopped the pieces up. SAVE THE GREASE.
Here is where it gets easy!
Just add 2 eggs to the grated acorn squash and salt & pepper. Now you can add the chopped bacon to this mixture! My first batch was without the bacon, second batch was with! Mix well. Here is where the saved bacon grease comes in…
Scoop about 1/4 cup of the grated acorn squash up and put in the bacon grease to fry.
I served mine up with scrambled eggs. Oh so good!! Now since acorn squash is more of a starchier squash (I just found out thanks to the THM Admins on the facebook group page- y’all are awesome) your max would be 1/2 a cup. So I figured 2 of the fritters is about 1/2 a cup. Keep your other protein to just protein and not carby and you will be fine. (I am going to figure out a way to do this more in an E settings so I can eat MORE)!
- 1 medium acorn squash peeled, deseeded, and grated
- 2 eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- bacon grease
- Peel, deseed & grate the acorn squash.
- Add two eggs to the squash.
- Cook up a package of good quality bacon and chop it.
- Keep bacon grease.
- Mix bacon into the squash (this is optional).
- Scoop about 1/4 cup batter and place carefully into hot bacon grease.
- Allow to crisp on first side before flipping carefully.
- Cook until browned on the other side.
- Serve with eggs!