A Low Carb Empanada Recipe that is flavorful! An S meal for THMer’s!
- 1.5 lbs of lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1/2 cup of chopped bell peppers
- 4 tbsp. of tomato paste
- 2 to 3 oz of cream cheese
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp of Allspice
- 3 tsp of garlic powder
- 2 tsp of onion powder
- 2 tsp of chili powder
- 2 tsp of cumin
- Salt to taste
- Dough Recipe from Primitive Palate- http://theprimitivepalate.com/2015/01/20/everything-bagel-dogs/
- Triple this recipe.
- Do not add the topping.
- Add in 1 tsp to 1.5 tsp of garlic powder.
- Add in a sprinkle of salt.
- Egg for egg wash.
- Chop the onion and bell peppers.
- Add meat to a skillet and brown with the onion and bell pepper.
- Add all the spices and mix well.
- If you need to add a little water add about 1/3 cup.
- Add in tomato paste and cream cheese.
- Mix well.
- Add in the shredded cheese.
- Mix up dough ingredients.
- Separate into 12 balls.
- Use wet hands and flatten out balls into big circles in your hands.
- Fill will 1/4 a cup of meat and close dough around the meat in the form of empanadas.
- Repeat, dipping fingers in a bowl of water to re-wet when needed so dough does not stick.
- Place on a nonstick baking mat or parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
- Mix an egg to create an egg wash.
- Brush each empanada with the egg wash and sprinkle with garlic powder and salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until you get a golden brown!
- Serve with salad or guacamole & salsa.
- Serving Size: 6