A low-carb, sugar-free German Chocolate Cake that tastes amazing!!
- 1– 4oz bar of unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup of 0% Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup of THM Gentle Sweet (if you want to use THM Super Sweet Blend try less than half the amount)
- 1 cup of room temp unsalted butter (two sticks)
- 5 eggs room temp
- 2 1/2 cups of almond flour or almond meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt (or your preference)
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter (one stick)
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream (you could possibly use half & half or almond milk but I have not tried this)
- 1/2 cup of THM Gentle Sweet (try 1/4 cup of THM Super Sweet Blend if using that)
- 5 egg yolks slightly whisked
- 1 tsp vanilla
- a pinch of salt
- 2 cups of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cup pecans or walnuts
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Grease two 9″ round baking pans or one 9X13 baking pan.
- Line the two round pans with waxed paper and spray/grease.
- Melt the chocolate bar, almond milk, and greek yogurt together on low heat until blended.
- *You can also do this quickly in the microwave.
- In you mixing bowl cream the butter, vanilla and sweetener until combined.
- Add eggs in one at a time.
- Add in the almond flour and baking powder, soda and salt.
- Slowly pour the chocolate mixture and mix well.
- Pour evenly into the round baking dishes (or 9X13 pan).
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes (if you need to go longer try 5 minutes at a time).
- Once the cakes have cooled, place a plate or a cake platter over the top of one of the cakes, flip and the cake should come out.
- Pull the liner off.
- In a bowl pour the nuts and coconut. Set aside.
- Melt butter and sweetener in a sauce pan on medium heat.
- Add the heavy cream and mix.
- In a separate bowl whisk your egg yolks.
- Slowly pour a little of the heated milk mixture into the eggs while whisking to temper the eggs.
- This will allow the eggs to temper so the yolks do not scramble in the heated milk mixture.
- This is a very important step.
- Once eggs are tempered pour the milk/egg mixture into the rest of the butter/milk mixture on the stove while whisking.
- It takes 5 minutes or more on low/medium heat to thicken the egg mixture.
- Do not boil.
- Once thickened add in the vanilla.
- Pour this mixture over the nuts and coconut.
- Mix well.
- Pour half on one of the cake layers already on a platter.
- Place the other cake on top of the icing and remove the liner.
- Pour the rest of the icing on the top of the cake.
- This serves 8-10 people!
- Serving Size: 10