(This post contains affiliate links. It costs you nothing extra but helps support my blog when you order through my links. Thank you so much!)
Well, I wasn’t going to do any more baking for a while. Then we get back from an awesome Homeschool Convention (Teach Them Diligently in Dallas) and I realize the next day is our daughter’s 6th birthday. All of our girls always want blueberry muffins on their birthday. I didn’t have time to go to the store and buy the boxed blueberry muffin package and they had just gotten back from staying with Grandparents and had indulged in all kinds of sugar. I wanted something a lot more healthy for them that I could just whip up. My previous strawberry muffin batter I like, but I wanted a little less heavy, maybe a tad lighter. It is still an S if following the Trim Healthy Mama plan. Also, this batter makes 24 muffins. So if you want less just cut the batter in half. I adapted this from a recipe I found on Elana’s Pantry. Made it sugar free and completely gluten free.
Start with your coconut flour. This is the flour I use. There are all kinds of coconut flours out there but this one works best for this recipe because it is super fine. Like I have said in my other coconut flour recipes, because coconut flour is so dense it needs lots of eggs, butter or oil. If not you will have something so dry it could choke you. 🙂 Also, coconut flour goes a long way. This recipe calls for 1 cup. That’s it. Anyway, this is the kind I use…
Put the dry ingredients in a bowl.
Add the dry ingredients to the butter, cream cheese, and extracts. Again mix well with a hand held mixer.
Next, add the room temperature eggs to the coconut and cream cheese batter. Mix well.
Grease a muffin tin of your choice. I used this kind and set it on a cookie sheet to bake. If you only have the metal kind just make sure each tin gets coated well with the spray. I used Trader Joe’s Organic Coconut Spray.
Bake. Take out of oven and gently take the muffins out.
These are not huge puffy muffins but medium sized and perfect for two or three a serving. I added butter with sea salt to the tops. YUM! My family eat them up and then enjoyed the muffins as a snack later!
Things you might like to purchase:
Sugar Free Blueberry Muffins
- 1 cup of coconut flour (I scoop in bag and shake off excess, also mine is very fine coconut flour)
- 8 eggs room temp (yes, 8 eggs but it makes 24 muffins.)
- 2/3 cup of Gentle Sweet
- 1- 8 oz package of cream cheese (room temp)
- 3/4 cup of butter (room temp) (add more if needed)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp of almond extract (if you don’t like this just take it out)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups of frozen blueberries
- Put coconut flour, salt and baking powder into a big mixing bowl.
- Mix with a hand mixer the butter, cream cheese, sweetener and extracts.
- Add the coconut flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Add the eggs to the batter and mix slowly until completely combined.
- Gently fold in with a spatula the blueberries.
- Spray a muffin tin with oil spray.
- Put an ice cream scoop of batter into each muffin cup.
- This makes enough for 24 muffins.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake muffins for 25 to 30 minutes until the tops are golden brown.
- Take out of oven.
- Take the muffins out and place on a plate.
- Serve with salted butter.
- These would freeze great and were fairly easy to make. Very yummy breakfast muffins or snacks.