5 Marriage Tips From A Madly-In-Love-With-Her-Husband-Wife
My husband and I have been married almost 18 years come July. And let me just say marriage has ONLY gotten sweeter the longer we’ve been married! Our families knew each other from the time we were 11 years old and we were married at 20. Young, I know, and in a sense we kind of grew up together! I know that all marriages have struggles, ours did for sure! You cannot go into marriage thinking it’s your fairytale come to life… nope. A beautiful marriage is something you have to work at daily but it is possible! Most importantly, marriage needs to be a chord of THREE… GOD first, you & your husband. You can try creating a marriage without Him but whatever we do in our own strength tends to fail. So making Christ a priority will only enhance and bless your marriage greatly!
I definitely want to say again that marriage is NOT like the fairytale romances you’ve probably read & if you go into a marriage thinking that you are in for a very rude awakening. You both are two imperfect people coming together, trying to live life as one and you can’t imagine how frustrating that will be at times! There will be days when your man may irriate you, frustrate you, make very bad decisions and even hurt you and you will do the same thing to him. BUT this is when Grace comes into play. Grace can make an imperfect marriage with two imperfect people completely beautiful and something almost out of this world. When you are able to show grace and receive grace it changes so much. And you can’t chose Grace without Christ.
I am going to share the BIGGEST things that I can think of that made an impact on my marriage for the better! I can honestly say without a doubt, I love my husband 100 times more now than I did as a young 20 year old girl saying her vows!!
1. Don’t try to change your man! Nope, don’t do it! No amount of nagging, or persuading or crying or stomping your foot or threatening or withholding will change him. In fact, it will just make him more determined NOT to change. What you should do is pray…pray for him, pray for your marriage, pray for attitude. I know this from experience! If it’s something major ask God to change him and one of two things will happen… He will either change your husband or He will change you! No joke, it works!
2. Let Things Roll off You like Water on a Ducks Back! Men have a tendency to put their big foot (sometimes both feet) in their mouth. Don’t hold their Husband Language against them. Try to learn that language. Just like he will eventually learn your language! He may say, “You hair is bushy” but what he means is “Your beautiful hair is full of body”. Hahaha, ask me how I know (sorry hunny)! Learn to take his words as how they are meant… a compliment. He adores you. You know in the bible where it talks about forgiving if you want to be forgiven… yep that goes for marriage too! “And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” Mark 11:25 Say you’re sorry when you’re wrong and forgive your husband! Also DO NOT GO TO BED ANGRY!!! “Don’t sin by letting anger control you.” Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry…” Ephesians 4:26 This is where GRACE comes into play. Grace is a beautiful, life changing thing!
3. Be happy! You know that old saying… “Happy wife happy life”? This is so true! You are a wife of a man who LOVES you, who singled you out above other women because he saw something in you he wanted to be around for the rest of his life. Stay that happy, laughing, fun woman he married. He doesn’t want you to change! One of the biggest things that kill a marriage is a bitter wife… choose to be Happy! If he forgets to take out the trash or pick up his clothes, gently remind him with a smile or a tease! Saying things in a kind way can change the outcome! It’s amazing what a flirty smile will do! No joke! Have fun together! God created marriage to be an AMAZING thing! I know there will be times, trials that will test that happiness but leaning into our Creator during those times can help you keep the joy!
4. Prefer him. Yes, he is the ONLY guy you need to prefer! Let him know that you adore him! That you only have eyes for him and that he is still that handsome hunk of a man you married! Make sure you tell him in ALL the ways! Let your marriage bed reflect the love you have for him. Compliment HIM! Feel his muscles and tell him how HOT that makes you! 😉 Men NEED to know that their wife prefers them! Speak Songs of Solomon over him! 😉 He will LOVE that! Pray daily that God protects him, gives him Favor, orders his steps, helps him make wise decisions! And trust that He will! God is so so good… He hears our prayers!
5. R-E-S-P-E-C-T… this is a NO BRAINER here but probably the one us ladies tend to forget the MOST! Respect that man you married. We are told to respect our husbands in the Bible. It’s easy for us to love our husbands but, respect, not so much. Learn to watch what you say because you love him. I think respect starts with our words. Think before you speak… how would your want him to talk about you to others? The Golden Rule is perfect for marriage too… NEVER talk negatively about your husband to anyone… not even mama! Don’t do it! Don’t even let those words come out of your mouth. Every time a negative thought comes into your head get rid of it! God tells us in 2 Corinthians 10:5 to take every thought captive. Don’t let those negative thoughts have a place to grow. Instead think “on things that are good”. (Phillippians 4:8) Your words have power… really believe that. So speaking life over your marriage and your husband is the best way to respect him!
I could go on and on but those are my top five tips from a madly-in-love-with-her-husband-wife! I have learned along with my husband what it takes to have a great marriage and I look forward to continuing to improve my marriage! There is no place in a marriage to be selfish! It is not about one person but about two becoming one. It’s about loving each other, it’s about respecting each other and it’s about giving each other grace! It’s not about ruling over another either, it’s about Being A Team! You want a happy marriage? Put God first and your husband second and then everything else will fall into place! There should be a healthy balance in your marriage and if there is not please seek help (Christian Counselling, etc). May God bless you with a marriage that is out of this world!
Something you may want to check out… Praying for Your Spouse